Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Day 1146 - Gotham

Is it seasonal affective disorder if all you do is sit at home and read and watch tv and eat junk food?  And part of that tv is Gotham, and I'm watching it right now as I type, and holy cow, that's Peter Scolari as the commissioner!  There are a lot of comic nerds that don't like Gotham (and I can say that, because I'm a huge comic nerd), but I'm completely on the opposite end of that spectrum.  And I say that simply because I'm still watching the show.  With so many tv options, my mind tends to wander and drift.  I've gotten to the point (and I'm not sure when it exactly happened) where there are so few hour-long dramas that I watch, that I sorta cling to the ones that make me want to watch them almost immediately.
Ben McKenzie's Jim Gordon manages to show how one honest man manages to barely keep his head above the morass that is the crime and corruption of the worst city in the world (well, the U.S.).  Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock does what Donal Logue does, which is make a person that has an abrasive personality, bad habits, and an ego to match a compelling and charismatic character.  Robin Lord Taylor plays a skinny Oswald Cobblepot (who, we all know will become The Penguin), and he's not yet the criminal mastermind we know he'll become.  He's very smart, but he's still a little green, and it's nice to see his early mistakes and how he's constantly learning from them.  Let alone the fact that he's super creepy.  Then there's Camren Bicondova's street urchin (Selina Kyle).  Apparently she was a dancer before the show was on the air, and her moves bear that out.  I'm not sure the creators could have picked a better person that we know will end up being Catwoman,
Lest I overdo the praising, I do have some complaints, but they're exceedingly minor.  Barbara Kean (Erin Richards) as Gordon's on again/off again girlfriend is a shadow of a character.  I have no interest in any storyline that she's involved in.  And Zabryna Guevara's Sarah Essen is Captain of the Gotham police force, but she's too nice.  In, what's supposed to be the worst, most corrupt police force, she's too altruistic.  Gordon should be butting heads with her in every episode.  Although that would probably be boring.  In any case, both those small complaints could easily be fixed with some stronger writing.  I'm willing to give it that, because I like just about everything else.
I've barely touched on anything other than the acting, and I haven't even written about Bruce and Alfred, but honestly I had no idea what I was gonna write tonight after being off for a couple of weeks.  I was still writing, just not a lot and not on here.  Like I said, seasonal affective disorder.  But we'll see see what happens in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment